RE: Power triggering

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Power triggering
  • From: "Doogie Brodie" <doogiebrodie@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:52:53 -0000

> Yes, your system does sound like the kind of thing I need to
> do - however, the 'what do you do in the morning' issue is
> still there. If I'm rushing out the door and forget to turn
> the house back on, then SWMBO is stuffed - which is why I

I get around this by a couple of really noddy settings..... A timer
which says its morning at X o'clock (switch coffee maker on), unless
I've set a flag saying don't do morning at X o'clock, and some basic
stuff on the kitchen PIR saying "If you see me in the kitchen after X
o'clock, then I'm awake..... Chuck a couple of lights on in other
rooms".... I live in a 1 bedroom flat, so this simple stuff works....

Other things could be look at sunrise time, or a PIR at the top of the
stairs to determine wether someone's up or not.

> asked if one of these IR->X10 converters could turn on a TV
> socket when she presses the 'Power On' button on the TV
> remote. Speaking of which, there are a no. of IR->X10 jobbies
> about - which is the 'best'?

Depends exactly what you want...... Do you really mean switch on the
socket the TV is plugged into, or switch on another socket somewhere
else....? I am always a bit wary of giving a TV a hard power off while
its on (a "kill -9" as I call it *rolls eyes*) ... I did it for a
while
to an old tv with aparently no ill effects, but wouldn't recommend it on
a decent set.....!

Do you want pressing of an IR button to switch on the TV and send an X10
command for further macros/ whatever...?

Doing it with the original TV remote should be possible, but tricky - it
involves getting something like a HomeVision to listen for that IR code
(obviously with some way of getting IR from the bedroom to wherever the
HomeVision is) and then running things based on that. Much simpler would
be to have an IR->X10 box (IR543) and a remote control which sent a
command to the TV and an X10 command to the IR box.

Doogie

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx