Re: Phone extension question

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Phone extension question
  • From: "keithdoxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 09:20:36 -0000

HI Robin,

The 4 contacts on the plug will be 2,3,4,5 with 2 being closest to
the tag. Look at www.diyha.co.uk and follow the links to *Telephones*

The BT wiring convention is

2 BLUE/White
3 ORANGE/White
4 WHITE/Orange
5 WHITE/Blue

where the MAIN COLOUR IS CAPS/Trace colour is lower case.

You shouldnt try to crimp a solid cored cable to an IDC plug. The
contacts in the plug are designed to peirce the insulation and push
into the STRANDED conductor. With a solid conductor it will be puched
to one side of the pin or the other and give a poor connection, at
worst, the pin will actually cut through the wire.

Likewise you shouldnt use stranded cable in an IDC socket although it
does usually give quite good results. With a normal Krone type IDC
connection in a socket there are two *blades* which slice through the
insulation andbite into a solid conductor forming what is known as a
*cold weld* which is an air tight secure connection. With stranded
cable the blades still cut through the insulation but the stranded
conductors tend to shuffle about and flatten out. A connection still
gets made but only by the surface of the conductors touching the
blade of the socket. This is nowhere near as reliable.

Hope that helps

Keith

--- In ukha_d@y..., Robin Edwards <robin@j...> wrote:
>     Can somebody help with following please.  I want to run a phone
> extension from
> a socket on ground floor to my study two floors up (in roof).  The
route
> is a pain but
> over last few months as I've been lifting boards etc I gradually
fed a
> cable thru, but
> there are no terminators on it.  The cable is what was left after
my
> home highway was
> installed. so I think it has 8 cores. (Brown,Orange, Blue and
Green,