RE: kinda [OT] Mobile to landline.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: kinda [OT] Mobile to landline.
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:04:50 -0000

>=20
> I have a "personal number" that I've had for about 5 years
(07050
> xxxxxx) which I have permenantly diverted to my mobile number, meaning
> can change mobiles whenever I feel like, and just update the service
> divert to the new number. It is theoretically possible to change this
> divert to landline number when you come into the house, then change it
> again on your way out etc, etc, but I have had problems with the
> changeovers... Sometimes everything would work fine, but sometimes it
> would take from a few minutes to a couple of hours for the actual
> changeover to happen, meaning calls would go to the wrong location...
>=20

And this is the one of the reasons we had to bar cell phone numbers from
the engineers handsets as well as the office, we call a *lot* of
customers. It is simply extortionate to call these personal numbers with
charges as high as =A31.50 a minute from a standard BT landline, they may
have come down now but it was not unusual to get =A30.50 to =A31.00 a
minut=
calling some customers. It's a great idea, but *WAY* too expensive in a
lot of situations, even some of the mobile tariffs from a BT line are
just stupid, okay if you use it as was intended as in a quick call
"where are you" type thing but not for a lengthy conversation.

FYI, our phone bill dropped by over 35% when we barred mobile numbers
and I know a lot of service companies are taking the same approach now.

K.