RE: Reliability (was : In praise of Overclockers.co.uk)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Reliability (was : In praise of Overclockers.co.uk)
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 14:32:02 -0000

Hmm, I have to disagree (a little) on this one.

Overclocking is done in the main, I feel, as a sport in it's own right,
and as such, is exceptionally interesting. I have a few friends who are
into OCing kit, and some of the machines are works of absolute beauty..
(like, an aluminium case, with side windows, where the GPU and CPU are
liquid cooled, the coolant liquid is flourescent, and there is a dark
light fitted into the case)

I am finding myself more inclined to use a single server for all house
functions, but my present server kit isn't capable of being overclocked.
(I have tried)

As for gaming (my other passion) Hell yes. A fair few of the guys on
madonion.com
are getting performance the rest of us won't see for another year or so..

Some of the bench numbers for P4 liquid cooled systems and Geforce three
cards
will put any speed demon being sold over the counter to shame.

As for Keith's point, yes, you are trading off performance against
endurance
and
reliability, however the numbers are such that overclocked kit will in
almost all
certainty be retired as obsolete long before it fails under stress.

Ian.