Re: Move Away Form Yahoo?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Move Away Form Yahoo?
  • From: "smorgouk" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 14:10:47 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Mark McCall" <mark@a...> wrote:
<snip>
> Before I setup some kind of poll (yet another excellent free
feature Yahoo
> provide) are there any comments anyone want to put to me - other
than calm
> down :)

Mark,

Personally, I find that Yahoo has become a real problem. The adverts
are irritating, but not seriously so. My problem is the delivery of
messages. I have to disagree with your opinion that Yahoo is reliable.

I find that a significant number of messages never get delivered -
sometimes when I post, they don't turn up. Sometimes, they appear on
the group via the Web interface, but I never receive them as e-mail.

A far more consistent problem is delays in delivery - these days I
find that almost _all_ messages a received out of sequence. Because
there's no way of threading them, this is a real PITA. Often, of
course, messages don't arrive until hours later - not very helpful
when it's a "turn on Ch4 NOW" kind of post.

I prefer Usenet for messages - though I can understand people who
don't - but reliability outways the disadvantages for me and Google
is much better for searching than the Yahoo group search facility. I
was therefore more than happy to see uk.tech.home-automation spring
to life (and the take up is not bad so far).

I also appreciate the extra facilities that Yahoo provides, like file
areas, polls, etc.

I would like to see the message traffic migrate over to uk.tech.home-
automation, perhaps with some synchronisation with the group, and
continue to use Yahoo (or a comparable alternative) for the other
features.

If the two were linked, I would appreciate it if Yahoo was _not_ the
master, because of (a) lack of threading and (b) reliability of
delivery.

If we want to keep the group away from Usenet, I would ask that we
look for (or develop) an alternative that supports threading and is
more reliable (oh, yeah, and preferably is more discrete with the
SPAM).

Just my 12p worth,
Steve