Re: Fujitsu Tablets : G's FujiAssistance Pack

> I'll tell you what I'd like to see, - anyone know if it's
> available/feasable?
>
> ... an IDE to Compact Flash adapter cable...

Feasible/available.  Can't find a link ATM, but they'r around for under
£30.

> AIUI, CF cards are IDE devices, so shouldn't I be able to connect one
to a
> standard IDE interface? If so, might it be feasable to replace the HDD
in
> tablet with a 256MB CF card (currently £69.28 ex VAT from ebuyer), and
have
> all the required boot & system stuff on that?

Yup, works just fine.  You could build your own if you can find a supplier
for an IDE socket, CF socket, power socket and a jumper/switch.  The
jumper/switch controls master/slave and the rest is self-explanatory.

> That'd make for a lot less noise, and a lot longer battery life I'll
> wager...
>
> Thoughts anyone?

Agreed, it's silent, and efficient on power.  Your main problem will be the
write cycles it's limited to.  About 1000000 from memory.  If you install
Windows on it, the swap will kill the CF card very quickly.  You *must*
mount the card read-only if you try it.  This stops the Windows OS dead in
its tracks.  *nix is the only solution :-(

Andy
--
PC-Based Multimedia System
http://www.andylaurence.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pcbmms