Re: Swish problems

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart Whyte" <lists@xxxxxxx>
To: "UKHA" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 12:07 PM
Subject: [ukha_d] Swish problems

> Gents,
>
> I have had my swish curtains installed for about 6 months now, snd Im
having
> problems that are starting to drive me crazy!!
>
> My setup is as follows:
>
> 2 swish K400 motors with the manual switch cut off, and joined to LONG
wires
> that go up into the loft and connected to the LV side of a universal
module
> (ie BOTH motors connnected to same Unversal module).
>
> Now for the problem:
>
> The curtains randomly open/close.
> If the vacum cleaner (and ONLY the vac, no other appliance) is plugged
into
> the ring socket before the curtains spur, turning  it on will
open/close
the
> curtains.
>
> I have checked homeseers log, and NO x10 activity is being detected at
the
> time.
>
> I seem to remember in my college days mention of a decoupling
capacitor to
> stop induced currents in long LV cable runs, but cant remebre the
details.
> Would this solve the problems??  Any other thoughts??
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Stuart Whyte

You could try fitting ferrite sleeves to reduce RFI, at either end of the
cable - they're available from RS, probably Maplin as well. If you get the
'bisected' type they can be clipped over your existing cable without
removing connectors.  My experience of them? I used to work for a company
installing chemical metering control systems - one customer site had a 12m
50-way ribbon cable (!) carrying the control signals from controller to
dispenser. Not a masterpiece of design. Occasionally switching one valve on
switched all on (surprise!!), results too messy and horrible to go into.
Fitted sleeves, problem went away. Hope this helps.

Keith Flanagan