Re: NEW ukha project

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: NEW ukha project
  • From: Stuart Poulton <swp@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:09:59 +0000 (GMT)

Ray,

I think that you could be right, whilst X10 is great if you're retro
fitting, it can be unreliable.

You comment about lack of 1-wire support for Rabbit, is I agree perhaps
the one thing that lets it down. I've got TINI here, and will proably be
using that to provide my 1-wire gateway, it is however a little on the
large side compared to the size of the Rabbit TCPIP Module.

Rabbit	2.3" x 1.6" x 0.9"
Tini	1.25" x 4" x 0.5"

TINI of course dosn't have the RJ45 connector so will grow in size with
it's addition, also there is a lack of IO on TINI.

Cheers

Stuart

> Stuart, the discount sounds good. As to further uses: I'm quite
excited by
> the talk about using the Rabbit in other areas of home automation such
as
> for hard wired lighting control and MP3 distribution. There is great
> potential here to design it such that all the devices (thermostat,
lights,
> music) talk a common language - a sort of HTTP 21st century version of
X10 -
> that would permit easy integration of them all in a home automation
> environment.
>
> Ray.

I've