OT Xp w2k laptop profiles question

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: OT Xp w2k laptop profiles question
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:26:30 -0000

Thanks to the list's advice my replacement laptop arrives on Monday and
I was thinking about profiles ( previous laptop never used with my
home/office network)

Here is my situation, I run w2k server a multi boot workstation which I
use for software development usualy as a w2k system, I usualy log into
that with a developer password which does not have a profile. I also
have a Xp workstation which I use for everwthing else, my wife and
daughter also use this and to save having to back it up I use profiles.
Now if I intrduce the laptop also xp and log in using my normal password
then I will get that profile transferd to my laptop, that's ok. But what
happenes if I do work on the laptop undocked, come back to the office do
some work on the xp workstation, log off, dock the laptop and logon,
will the work on the laptop get overwritten ?

If so is it normal to use a separate login for the laptop or just not
make it part of the domain ?

John