Phone via CAT5

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Phone via CAT5
  • From: "steevc" <steevc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:05:10 -0000

On my suggestion my Dad installed some CAT5 whilst renovating his
flat. He has 2 runs from each room back to the meter cupboard. He's
bought the B&Q 12 way patch panel and some sockets, but what he
really needs from it at the moment is a way to get a phone connection
>from
next to the NTL phone point so he can run something between them.

Is there a standard way to connect phone wires to CAT5? My sockets
only seem to use 2 wires. Is that all you need?

Can you get cheap in-line convertors to plug in an RJ45 socket with a
phone socket on the other end?

The patch panel shows 2 ways of wiring up. They were labeled with a
number followed by A or B. Any reason for 2 standards?

Thanks

Steve