RE: Re: Newbie Greetings-Long Post

Hi Doug, I'll try again..........

Well it sounds like you have been busy. :-)

>1)  How can I amplify the audio out from the computer (cheaply).
>I was thinking
>of using an old automobile amplifier powered by an old computer power
supply
>(supposedly 9A at 12V).  Any thoughts?  Will I burn down the house or
fry
>the sound card by doing this??  I want to get something working now,
and
can > upgrade(i.e. spend more money) in the future.

You could do this, providing the amplifier you are using will accept line
inputs, (most power amps will) as that's what the sound card can deliver. I
presume you are thinking about using a power amp, so therefore you will
need
to use the volume control available on the PC.

Anyone else have any comments on this - Keith / Phil?

>2)  Can someone comment on the usability of the voice commands in
Homeseer
>(voice recognition).  Can a single microphone work for a whole room?
What
>effects do ambient noise or music have on voice recognition?  What
>microphone is needed? (usable but as inexpensive as possible)  Where
should
>it/they be mounted(ceiling, wall, tabletop?)

Its not great, and certainly one Mic per room is going to give frustrating
results, (consider the amount of background noise that's surrounds around
us, and then asking the computer to turn a light on from the far side of a
room, The PC has some serious work to do!!):-(

The best place for a mike is about 2 inches from your mouth :-) and even
then the better the quality (mainly because cheap microphones pick up on
noise from being handled, and pops from speech).

I haven't bothered with element of Homeseer, mainly due to the fact that I
have never been impressed with the low end systems available. Others may
have different ideas....

Well that's my 0.02p worth

Regards

Daniel

This message is confidential and intended for the exclusive
use of the addressee(s) only and remains the property of
Exchange FS Group plc. You should not disclose its contents
to any other person. If you are not the intended recipient
please notify the sender named above immediately.

Registered Office: Munro House, Portsmouth Road, Cobham,
Surrey, KT11 1TE. Registered in England No. 2596452