Consumer unit wiring problem

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Consumer unit wiring problem
  • From: Ant Skelton <ant@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 03:21:21 +0000

I've just spent the entire weekend wiring up my friend's caravan (he's
turning it into a home studio). All the electrics in the van went in ok,
as did the armoured cable back to the house. However, when I came to
hook it into their consumer unit, I found that the MCB which I'd bought
for the purpose didn't fit the consumer unit.

The problem is that the consumer unit has a solid metal live busbar at
the bottom with U shaped grooves in it, into which the MCBs bolt. The
MCBs I'm familiar with have a cable retaining mechanism at the bottom so
that you can insert a cable and tighten it.

Is this a common arrangement? If so, does anyone know where suitable
MCBs can be had, or even what to specify when ordering them so that I
get the right type of connection?

The consumer unit in question (and the existing MCBs) are made by
Crabtree, and must be about 10 years old.

cheers

ant
--
/\/\