RE: DON'T REPLACE YAHOO!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: DON'T REPLACE YAHOO!
  • From: "Michael Mc Aree" <michael.mcaree@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:03:28 -0000

> From: Mark Hetherington=20
> [mailto:mark.egroups@xxxxxxx]=20

> I might be in a position to secure server space on a very=20
> good connection to provide the list and other services. I=20
> would also hope to be able to get this at no cost. So my=20
> proposal is, if we could reproduce all features that Yahoo=20
> offer that people like, would it be of interest to members?

I suppose I started this thread by saying that I would be prepared to
throw a few quid at it to get the same service but without the
advertising. I think that on this list we have the expertise to create a
new ad-free setup. Even @ =A3100 per year I think we could get a few quid
>from
I found out about HA through a web search. It did not point me to
Egroups (the previous incarnation of Yahoo Groups) but to Marks
Excellent site. This is the HUB of the UKHA community and where all new
members are likey going to find a mailing list to join. I like the list
even though it goes OT more than on!. I have met people I like, gained
support for various problems (HA and non-HA), and got plenty of gadgets.
Only yesterday Des gave me an Oil Watchman!! (Thanks again Des !!) Where
else would you get this? The only downside to this list is the amount of
money I have spent!!
I was not an Epod person (wish I was!!) but at the time there was a LOT
of traffic about it. Pissed me off a bit because I wasn't getting one.
The last 2 *major* OT discussions have centered on the Kodak Offer
(which eventually went off list to various websites) and this Fuji
Tablet stuff. I am involved in both. Stuart immediately set up a nice
site with links and a forum to take some of the chat off list. It has
gradually done so but these things take time. I find the amount of ads
overpowering, especially the HTML variety. All I wanted was a way for us
to continue but without all the crap tacked onto the end of the
messages.  I don't mind the OT or large threads. I just don't like the
ads and the crap web interface from Yahoo. I don't think we should
re-invent the wheel but developing one that goes round at a reasonable
speed might be an option. I much prefer downloading stuff from
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/
than Yahoo. I *hate* it when I get a
message that 'someone has uploaded files to the file area'. ! :-)
A streamlined list might actually keep people in the UKHA community.
What is the churn rate of the list Mark?

Michael