RE: Replacing Yahoo with a paid provider was Posting et

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Replacing Yahoo with a paid provider was Posting et
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 10:57:34 -0000

> The UKHA IRC channel is another means of communication but it is of
little
> use to me as I cannot access it unless I am at home by which time it
is
> often quite late in the evening. On the occasions when I used to try
using
> it there were few if any people online at that time although I believe
is
> can be quite busy during the day.

Surely you don't have time for that Mr. Doxey are you not after all
building our switchers ;-)

> As I said at the start of this reply, YAHOO is not perfect, but I dont
> believe any single medium could ever be. For a free service that is
> available the majority of the time it is hard to beat. Finding a paid
> service would not be that easy as has been pointed out by recent
threads
> on
> Web Hosting and my own experiences shortly before Christmas when
FXHost
> went
> "titsup.com" and all my websites and email were lost.

Exactly, not perfect but IMO, the best compromise that *tries* to please
all the people all the time.

> Paid hosting comes in two formats
>
> Inexpensive  - limited capacity, limited relilability, flakey or
> non-existant support
> Expensive - Total Reliability, guaranteed service levels and 24/7/365
> support.
>
> As has already been pointed out, how many people would actually stump
up
> cash to fund a paid for service. How many newcomers would be deterred
>from
> joining because of a fee ?

The point I made yesterday, I know I would have been put off to start
with but after seeing the benefits of the group I would pay for access,
but how does someone totally new know this?

> The current arrangements suit me at this point in time.

And me!

> My vote is currently "NO CHANGE"

Quite.

Thanks, Keith a very good post as usual and I think you covered and
summed up the whole debate pretty well.

K.

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx