IR for cable TV decoders ?

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: IR for cable TV decoders ?
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 02:44:00 -0500

I've got a suggestion, but please bear with me as I clarify my
understanding
.. . .

I haven't followed (and don't completely understand) _everything_ that's
been said on IR distribution / repetition, but AIUI there's a couple of
different "types" of IR.

1. IR that most TVs, videos, CD players etc. use,
2. IR that the cable TV decoders use (is this IRDA, & what does the
"DA"
stand for ?)
3. IR that connects mobile phones to laptops etc. (is this still IRDA or
something else ?)
4. IR used by some high-end hifi equipment

Are 2, 3 & 4 all the same ?

(Again all AIUI) but the problem with "repeating" IRDA is the
sourcing of an
appropriate IR receiver to feed signals into the distribution network ? Or
the sourcing of an IR _and_ IRDA receiver ?

Ok, so now to my suggestion,

A CPC "Price Breakers" catalogue came through my door yesterday
& on the
front cover is a "Universal remote control" (CH48014) which
states it's
suitable for cable receivers. It costs less than a tenner and states that
it's easy to "program" and includes a "scan " facility.

Does this mean it's got a suitable IR(DA?) receiver & emitter to allow
it to
work with cable boxes ? Could this be cannibalised to remove the necessary
parts which can then be incorporated into a structured wiring IR
distribution network ?

Apologies if this has already been discussed before, just seemed another
option.

Thanks,

Tim.

+