Re: Wireless - what range?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Wireless - what range?
  • From: "Stuart Booth" <stuart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:08:41 -0000
On 7 Feb 02, at 16:59, wajcn50 wrote:

> All this talk of wireless has set me thinking.
> Hopefully moving shortly to a new (old) house just down the road
> (about 100yds) from the wife's sister & husband. Bought them a
bush
> set top box to get them started on the net & they now want more!
Can
> provide them with an old PC to act as browser but would I be able to
> link them through my home network. Can see all sorts of possibilities
> of monitoring each others houses. Any thoughts on best kit?

This is the type of thing I've been keeping my eye out for.
Something affordable, but I only need say 100min - 200max meter
range. That's got to be possible. I saved up a few URLs to
examine, but funding got allocated elsewhere so I've not been back
to this.

I'd bet there are a fair few on this list interested in such a wireless
network (there's you and me for a start, so there must be more?)
so do pop up anything you find.

> Also, anyway that I could setup something so that the two SWMBO's
> could talk to each other - otherwise I can see some massive phone
> bills coming!!

Ahhh, Voice Over IP via a wireless network ??

My application is the same, to a friend across a field, about 100m
away maybe. I want to do voice and picture comms. At least then
he'll be able to get through to me when I'm on the Internet!

Stuart