RE: Recommended whole-house audio dist amp?

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Recommended whole-house audio dist amp?
  • From: "BUTLER, Tony, FM" <tony.butler@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:28:50 -0000

Keith already has audio and video distribution modules done.
What is missing currently is a switching unit to play different sources in
different rooms, or the same source in a no. of rooms.

There is no amplification involved here - you supply your own at the
destination end.
The current standard KAT5 modules are terminated with SCART sockets, though
he can do custom units with phono's or whatever if you want to plug into an
amp rather than a TV.
If you run all from a central amp then there may be losses in the speaker
cables and, where relevant, video cables.  With Kat5 the losses should be
negligible.

My Linn system is such that each zone/room has it's own amp which is hidden
(in kitchen cupboards, under the floorboards etc) near to the ceiling
speakers to keep the unbalanced runs as short as possible.

My video is, however, distributed from a central point via an AV amp and it
does suffer from an 8m run of SVideo to the main TV....which is why I am
experimenting with KAT5 to replace the unbalanced video feed.....

Tony