Telephone circuits (Was [OT ish] ADSL Filter / ADSL Modem)

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Telephone circuits (Was [OT ish] ADSL Filter / ADSL Modem)
  • From: "BUTLER, Tony, FM" <tony.butler@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 11:50:34 -0000

<tony.butler@r...> wrote:
>> I've been told that if u use all masters, u ca effectively have as
>> many phone on a circuit as u wish.
>
>This is not right. The number of phones you can have on a single
>exchange line is primarily limited by the exchanges ability to
>provide sufficient current to make them all ring. Whether or not you
>use master sockets through out is irrelevant.

Sorry, should have qualified it:
The guy said that in his expericene you could bung as many phones as any
sane person would want (!) on a single line.  This usually meant up to
about
1/2 a dozen in a swish penthouse apartment.  He hasn't yet had a problem,
but then he hasn't designed for a HA-head either :-)

> AFAIK, yes, the masters have a capacitor for a ring circuit, but
most modern
> phones don't need it anyway, so is irrelevant....

True enough, but bloody irritating if you happen to purchase a device
at a later date which doesn't support "two wire" ringing.

There's always one isn't there? :)

While we're on the this subject, perhaps one of you guru's can help:

I have a single Bt line wired into a 16 port patch panel, which I use then
to feed to the various rooms in the house.
I've only got a few phones attached, though I have quite a few sockets
'plumbed in' to the phone panel.
There is a noticible (to me) hum on the line the more sockets are patched
in.  There are two in particular that rather than adding incrementally to
the hum, practically double it between them.  I did not lay all the calbe
myself so I don't know how close it is run to the mains cables.  I
specified
_not_ to be in parallel runs, but I can't be sure the guy who did the job
actually obeyed to the letter - so it may be mains hum I'm picking up?
Is there anything I can do to alleviate this?  It's not that bad - ppl on
the other end don't here it AFAIK, and (importantly!) SWMBO doesn't - but
it's one of those things that, once you know is there, you are constantly
aware of it :-(

cheers,

Tony

Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com