-----Original Message-----
From: Doogie Brodie [mailto:ukhad@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 27 December 2002 19:30
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Plasma Advice

White, Peter wrote:

> SWMBO's main concern is the life of the set before it starts to go > grey or burn out.  I've seen quoted elsewhere a reasonable life o= f
> 10,000hrs for a plasma - is this correct?  Based on those figures= , if
> the TV's on for 5hrs a day, and it's watched 5 days per week, that > gives just under 8 years life, which doesn't seem too bad, assuming > the quality doesn't tail-off after 5,000 hours, and starts to look > very bad at 10,000.  Anybody got any thoughts on this, or other <= BR> > recommendations?  Richers also do a warranty for
> 3 years at =A3250, is this money well spent?

I've always been pesimistic about plasma, particularly due to their
finite life, and normally quote the 8-10 year life whenever people ask, but one of my colleagues' father purchased a Panasonic plasma from House of Fraser and he got a *20 year* guarantee on it.... I don't know what
the details where of wether it was included free or was an optional
extra etc, but that could be a viable option to get 2 for the price of
one as it where. Of course, the small print probably says that it's
10,000 hours over 20 years, and exceeding this invalidates it etc..... :\
--
Doogie