Re: Re: Building Node0

From: "Mark McCall" <Mark@xxxxxxx>
> > My point precisdely, I intend everything (except a DVD player in the
> >lounge) to be located in Node0.  The DVD player in the lounge will
> > t send to anywhere else, and I don't plan to have DDARs or anything
> >like that, as I have a wireless LAN, Fujitsu Point 510, music server,
> >and a Veronica covering that.
>
> How will you control it all?  Presumably you'll need CAT5 for IR
> distribution too then?

The lounge is destined to have 4x CAT5.  2x KAT5, IR, and a spare.  I
suppose I could route telephone over CAT5 as well.  I may double up the
runs, but I'm on a tight budget for the cabling.  If there's enough in the
reels, I'll double up.  The plan is for 610m CAT5, and 100m coax.  A run
>from substantially less.  I shall do as many runs as I can with that cable.  I
can always do more at a later date.  BTW, any suggestions on lifting floor
boards gratefully accepted.  I'm thinking of a crowbar ATM!

> It would be silly not to leave yourself with some flexibility, and for
> devices in the future you haven't even though of now.  When we built just
4
> years ago, I hadn't considered networked MP3 players or PVRs.

True.  I know I shall be doing more cabling at some point, but how much life
does CAT5 have.  Could we be using something else in 5 years?

Cheers,
Andy