RE: Re: Building Node0

Andy, Laurence wrote:

> LOL!  I can't think what I'll need more CAT5 for though.

OK, here are some things that group members already use CAT5 for in
relation to telly/surround sound

- KAT5 in from "babycam"
- KAT5 out from rear channels of hi-fi to power amp at back of room (no
trailing speaker cable!)
- Ethernet into DDAR / Rio / Audiotron / Exstreamer
- IR Receiver for relay back to equipment in node zero
- IR Transmitter for control of hi-fi from HomeVision in node zero
- Phone with break out box, for routing incoming calls through the hi-fi
(hands free :-))

Here are some projects "on the workbench" - ie installed in a "not
permenent" manner with trailing leads

- 10BaseT into serial controller for xAP control of amp
- Via-based network DiVx player from central server

(Obviously, a lot depends on the availability of matrix switching. I
would move much more of the source system into node zero if I could, and
only have the power amps, speakers and TV in the room.)

Another rule of thumb worth remembering is that the number of uses for
KAT5 doubles every 2-3 years... That is to say that 5 years ago, we
could come up with 2 uses ACTUALLY IN USE on the list, 2 years ago we
could come up with 4, and now we can come up with 8.

The mantra worth remembering is that "cable is cheap, fittings are
expensive." As such, always run a quad run of cable to every box, even
if you only terminate 1 or 2 and leave the others behind blanking
plates. It's as easy to run a batch of 4 cables as it is to run a
single... but a real pig to run just one more 6 months down the line.

Regards,

Mark