RE: Automation in the Bathroom ?

The 20 minute timing is specified in the UK Building Regulations.

It applies to any bathroom/toilet where there is not a window (ie
typically bathrooms in the middle of the building not adjacent to an
external wall.)

In this case, the fan must run all the time that the light is on, and
for an additional 20 minutes afterwards.

It has long been suggested, in HA circles that this "rough and ready"
figure is inappropriate. Probably the best suggestion for meaningful
automation came from Phil Harris a year or so ago.

His suggestion was that, with good occupancy detection, and a decent
controller, it would be worth timing how long the person had been in the
WC, and using THAT to determine how long the fan should run for. As we
are well aware, a "quick slash" typically requires a lot less extraction
(!) than a "good dump".

If you added humidity detection to that, to take care of the shared
bath/shower/WC room, then all in all, a good formula could be arrived
at.

The other thing I'd add would be a "was the loo actually flushed"
detector. I, for one, will visit the en-suite last thing at night to
clean my teeth, without using the other facilities. In this case,
there's no need for any fan running.

I realise that this is drifting a long way from the original question...
However, I think it's all good HA stuff :-)

Regards,

Mark