RE: Speaker Switching

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Speaker Switching
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:11:15 -0000

Speaker switching is a little more complex than it first appears and there
are good and bad ways to do this.

    An amplifier is designed to transfer the most possible power to a
speaker when the impedance of the speaker matches the spec - typically this
is designed for an 8 ohm or 4 ohm speaker. The lower the ohms the greater
current can flow for the same voltage such that on manufacturers specs you
will frequently see that power is maximised on 4ohm speakers. A short
circuit (a big piece of copper wire) is effectively 0 ohms and an open
circuit is an infinite number of ohms.
    Depending on the design of the amplifier it needs to be able to protect
itself against the speakers being shorted or becoming disconnected - poor
designs may not have this protection and some protections only activate at
power on and not during playing of an audio source. Obviously shorting some
speaker terminals could generate huge currents, open circuit can generate
large voltages and current glitches. Supplying any impedance other than the
designed one back to the amplifier impacts the efficiency of the amplifier.
    Multiway speaker switches typically work by allowing the connection of
speakers in parallel and series combinations such that the impedance back to
the amplifier is kept as close to say 8 ohms as possible - two 8 ohm
speakers could be in parallel to reach 4 ohms etc etc The more expensive
switches (& volume controls) use a transformer matching technique to make
this much more predictable. Resistors are introduced in the lower cost
designs to help smooth the switching changes out and also to cater for the
critical time when the contacts change when a speaker set are switched in or
out. This has to be done typically 'break before make' in these designs to
avoid shorting the amplifier. Some extra resistors sometimes exist to smooth
the variations in some switching combinations.
    The resistor that is in your switchbox is really there probably for this
reason. It is to cater for the brief time at which the switches are being
changed over - it is probably a fairly high value say 100 ohms in comparison
to a speaker impedance and is to avoid the terminals going open circuit and
possibly damaging the amplifier. It is not designed to allow the amplifier
to play into the switch when no speaker is attached or switch in (As there
would be no point in this). Additionally the power that is output from the
amplifier is effectively absorbed by this resistor and has to be dissipated
as heat - when you consider that some amplifiers can give out huge amounts
of power nowadays say 50W this is a big problem. At a higher impedance this
would be reduced though. But typical small resistors can only dissipate 1/4
W although the resistor in that box is probably much larger and may
dissipate say 5W or 10W. If it does get too much power it will simply burn
up and go open circuit effectively exposing the amplifier to risk.
   You are right in that if this resistor is effectively in parallel with
your speakers the majority of the current will flow through the speakers
still and therefore the resistor has little overall effect.
    You haven't mentioned what sort of power these sources might be running
but...
    Your problem is two fold - firstly suddenly switching the load off from
some speakers which is where this resistor comes in - you need to be wary of
what sort of power might be being switched at the time - and also what sort
of natural protection your source amplifiers have inbuilt. As I understand
your switcher you might have to provide this on all six different inputs
given they could all be switched out .Secondly you have the issue of how to
connect all or any combination of the speakers to one source. You mustn't
connect them all in parallel for example as you would then be presenting an
impedance of under 2 ohms  back to the amplifier - well below the 8 ohms
typical and possibly damaging to the source or causing it to go into a
protection state. This is really why most complex switching/mixing is done
at line level rather than speaker level. Switching large powers that are not
capable of running in short/open circuit conditions is complex to do
correctly.

    Kevin