Re: 1 Wire-Thermometer Starter Kit

>>I am interested in setting up a 1-wire network for temperature
monitoring.

See my answers in line

>> I know of the 1-wire "DS1921K - Thermochron iButton Starter Kit", but
have
>> some questions for anyone that has used it:

The basics of the thermochron one wire kit are a 1-wire to RS232 adaptor
and for iButtons a blue dot receiver.  Essentially all you need to
interface to a DS1820 is a RS232 adaptor, this has a RJ11 (small plug in
the back) you just take a feed off of this then you need to get hold of the
software which is freely available of their site.

As for the thermochron they are really intended for temperature logging
over a period of time.  You can set the interval and just leave the iButton
somewhere and come back later and read the data out of it.  Their
commercial use is to attach to temperature control good like so when in
transit you can check they have always been at the right temperature.

>> 1. Can DS1820 sensors be used with this?

Yes, see above.  You will need to crimp a RJ11 plug on to a blank wire
though.

>> 2. Is there a limit of how many sensors can be used with this kit?

Not really but you may have to tweak the 1-wire network with a resistor for
large networks, maxim do have a data sheet on way to make large networks
more reliable.

>> 3. As it is a "starter kit" does that mean I will have to purchase other
things as well?

Most things can be obtained free by going the to www.maxim-ic.com and
ordering samples.  They will ship two of up to six items with each order
but you can get samples as often as you like.  The only thing you need to
pay for is the adaptor.

>> 4. How would I make data from this kit available to Homevision?

The easiest way would be to get a small VB apps to read the sensors and
issue DDE statement to HomeVision.  Alternatively if you have a HV
expansion board you can connect DS1820 directly.  The other alternative is
to get a  temperature sensor board from Quasar it supports 4 sensor and
output the data to the serial board in a friendly format.

>> 5. Any other useful info you have about this?

There is a 1-wire UKHA list, it tend to be very quiet though.

>> 6. Is there anything better (or maybe a different kit I should
consider)?

As I say worth just buying the adaptor, then ordering a iButton receptor,
DS1820 and iButtons as samples with free postage.  Be careful on the maxim
site when buying stuff as if they don't have it all in stock they ship it
all separately incurs extra postage.

>> Thanks & Happy Christmas

Likewise.

Steve

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not
read, copy or otherwise use it and do not disclose it to anyone else.
Please notify the sender of the delivery error and then delete the
message from your system.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author only.

Communications will be monitored regularly to improve our service and for
security and regulatory purposes.

Thank you for your assistance.