RE: Home telephone system

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Home telephone system
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:47:38 -0000

Close to my own setup, so here goes:

Firstly, you cannot pick up the PSTN analog numbers from the ISDN port, no
way, no how. There is a workaround, however, which is what we did.

1) Upgrade to Business Highway (as MSN numbers are not available to Home
Highway users)

2) Ask BT to assign you two new Analog Numbers, and make the existing
numbers available to you as MSN Numbers.

Anyone calling your old number will now be routed in as an ISDN voice call,
so you will need an ISDN PABX.

I use the Tiptel 822, which supports 2xISDN lines for expansion (but happily
works with one) which can be programmed to pass on the various incoming MSN
numbers in different ways (for example, an MSN could be assigned as "direct
dial" to your desk and so on...)

At this point, a PC with an ISDN card connected onto the internal ISDN S-Bus
of the PABX (most ISDN PABXs have both ISDN and Analog lines internally)
will be able to receive CLID.  (as a note: you have to get BT to turn on
CLID on Business Highway)

One thing: my system actually works like this:

PABX maps incoming line 364 to ISDN line 31
incoming line 324 to ISDN line 32

The PC ISDN Card has to be configured to pick up MSN's 31,32,33 and so on,
but PC software (I use ISDNCID) can recover the called MSN easily.

Hope this helps.

I.