Re: anyone got a psion 5mx for sale ? or recommend alternative?

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "John Risby" <john@e...> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> anyone got a psion 5mx available for a quick sale?
>
> my dad's screen has gone and he needs to get a new one asap. there
is
> one on ebay due to end tonight which i may go for but the pen
holder is
> broken.

The pen holder issue can usually be readily fixed - you just have to
prise the bottom of the case away at the corner of the pen hole with
your finger, and the spring snaps back into place with a satisfying
click. Of course, I can't guarantee that this is the case here - but
it is very likely, it was a common fault.

> alternatively can anyone recommend a good keyboard based pda to
replace
> it?

I wish... The lack of a built in keyboard on the iPaq is a major pain
(combined with short battery life). The Sharp Zaurus seems like good
value and has a built in keyboard, but I can't comment on the quality
of the software because I haven't seen it. There is also a Pocket PC
HP (700 series?) which has a built in keyboard, but it is relatively
large - and expensive. Expansys.com carry it I believe.
The Handspring Treo recently dropped in price, with integral phone,
and also includes a "hunt and peck" keyboard - better than nothing,
but IMO the Palm software is beginning to show it's age.
Psion Series 7 (considerably larger than a conventional PDA, but with
a full size keyboard) and Psion Revo are still available in the
channels.
External "bolt on" keyboards are available for iPaq and Palm - but
are cumbersome to say the least.
All things considered, the Revo might represent the best compromise
for your Dad. Certainly a great form factor, and very usable
keyboard -- but obviously obsolete from the day you buy it.

> he'd need to be able to convert and restore his backed up psion data
> from his pc.

Probably the best route here is to use Outlook as an intermediary -
sync the Psion with Outlook and pretty much any PDA worth it's salt
will in turn be able to sync again with Outlook.

Patrick