RE: Lamp Module Dimming

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Lamp Module Dimming
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 22:01:57 -0000

The problem could be that you have far to much stuff with switch mode power
supplies and the built in mains filters are killing the X10 signals.

It may be wise for all of us to consider installing what is usually called a
"Clean Ring" for all the computer stuff but for a different reason than its
original purpose.

The "Clean Ring" concept originated as computer stated to become popular but
often crashed due to dirty mains. The clean ring often has non standard
plugs eg. "T" shaped earth pin, so that only computer equipment is plugged
in and dirty stuff like compressors and motors were on completely separate
circuits.

The same concept could now be employed in reverse by having a "Non X10" ring
that is isolated from the rest of the house by a large X10 blocking filter
to prevent the X10 signals being absorbed by the PC's etc.

A major undertaking to retrofit but quite easy to implement is you are
rewiring anyway.

Have to admit that a hard wired lighting system would be far better though
:-)
Pity there arent any cheap ones :-(

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk