  From: Doogie Brodie
  To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 9:41 AM
  Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Lamp Module Dimming

  Simon Brazier wrote:

  > Has anyone found any other ways of dimming a standard LM12 lamp module
  > using Homeseer, other than the boring old Standard Dim ?
  >
  > Is this all we can get in the UK, or have I missed something ?

  It is and it isn't...... from an LM12, and *most* of the UK kit that's
  all you'll get.

  You've got 2 main solutions.... dim to zero instead of switching off,
  but this consumes electricity constantly... you can get a little smart
  with this, eg if you know you're only going to want the functionality
  from 6pm onwards or something, you can program Homeseer/ another
  controller to switch it on then dim to 0 at 6pm, then dim up from
  there.... this still won't support direct level dimming though (ie
  pressing brighten on a controller will make it brighten gradually, but
  telling Homeseer to go to 70% will ramp to 100% then back down)

  The other option which Ken recommended and works great for the one lamp
  that I *really* wanted this functionality on... buy a device that does
  support the direct level dimming (eg LD11.... does the job perfectly)
  and wire it in between your light and plug. You really should put it in
  an enclosure.... (hmmmm... really *should* do that one day.....!)

  If you're looking at lightswitches for traditional ceiling lights, you
  can get the UK LW10U which behaves exactly like the LM12, you can do it
  properly with an LD11 or you can use a German LW11G which behaves the
  same as the LD11. The LW10U is a direct replacement for UK switch with
  standard wiring... the LD11 and LW11G require neutral connections which
  may involve some rewiring. Fortunately I discovered that I have strange
  wiring that means I do have neutral at the switch, so I fitted (well....
  Ken's uncle did it :) an LW11G in one room.

  HTH

  --
  Doogie