Re: Tapes to MP3?

I believe you will need to take the tape signal via an amp, rather than
direct to your sound card, as the signal level is not suitable (similar
to ripping from vinyl). You should be able to connect tape or line out
>from
I have never found a tool that could adequately identify the gaps
between the tracks, so I ended up doing this sort of thing mostly
manually. First, record the tape (or a side of the tape) to disk as a
WAV with any sound recorder. Next, clean the WAV of hiss etc. (I liked a
program called Sound Laundry while I was doing this on Windows -
www.algorithmix.com). Finally, separate the various tracks manually, and
encode them to MP3. On Windows, I used an excellent tool for this last
part called LP Ripper (www.cfbsoftware.com), which makes the track
separation as simple and precise as possible. They also do a program
called LP Recorder, which could be useful for the first part of the process.

Cheers,

Bruno