RE: [OT] Volume Levelling MP3's

David, mp3gain keeps getting a mention on the AT list. I havnt used it
(yet), people that have say they have had good results. Here is a recent
post:

"I use MP3Gain -- but it is not a "normalizer".  It analyzes the song to
figure out what the "average" volume of the song it, then allows you to
adjust the volume so that all songs "sound" like they are about the same
volume.  This is what radio stations do -- if you notice, every song
sounds like it is about the same volume.  A Def Leppard and an Air
Supply song both sound "about the same".

Normalzation is something different (far more rudimentary and
antiquated).  Normalization analyzes a song and finds the single highest
peak (loudest point) and then adjusts the entire song so that peak is
the same as all other song's maximum peak.  Thus, if you have a really
quiet song with a single, loud crash or blip, then normalizing it will
make that one peak as loud as the other songs, whereas the whole rest of
the song is quiet.  MP3Gain will make the whole song sound the same as
the rest - that one peak will be even louder (but momentary).

I have used MP3Gain to adjust all 14,000 of my songs so they all average
89db.  This is very very nice -- my wife and I listen to our music in
playlists (mixed artists) and randomly, so every song sounds about the
same volume.  MP3Gain is a "lossless" adjustment, so it can be applied,
undone, re-done to a different setting, etc.  Over and over, with no
decrease in quality of the MP3 file.

Glen"

YMMV

Craig