Broadband speed question

  • Subject: Broadband speed question
  • From: "David Claxton" <UKHA@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 13:04:13 -0000

I went onto the BT website yesterday to check my exchange for the
availability of Broadband. It came back saying :-

'For Telephone Number XXXXX XXXXXX on Exchange XXXXXXXXX
The checker indicates that BT Broadband is available in your area, and that
you SHOULD BE ABLE to receive it.
But the preliminary check on your line suggests that you are on the limit of
being able to receive service because of the distance between you and your
local exchange.
When you place an order, we will perform a further test on your line to make
sure that your line is suitable.'

My question is, is it simply going to be a case of :-

1)No you can't receive it.
2)Yes you can receive it.

or

1)No you can't receive it.
2)Yes you can receive it but because you are at the maximum distance from
the exchange your link speeds will be slower.

Is there anyone on the list who has broadband and is in the same sort of
position in relation to there exchange? I did ring BT and they did tell me
that if I can get it I will get the same speed regardless of where I am
living in relation to the exchange, but I'm just looking for some unbiased
reassurance.

Thanks in advance,
Dave.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor