RE: Digital Picture Quality

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Digital Picture Quality
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 22:44:21 -0000

Indeed.

Here is a snip of one of my recent "rants" on the quality of digital TV.

****
....by far the most limiting factor regarding bandwidth for SKY channels is
the reluctance of SKY to pay for more transponders. SKY are insistant on
cramming more and more channels into the same amount of bandwidth by
reducing the bitrate below acceptable limits.

In a vain attempt to keep up with SKY, OnDigital also tried squeezing a
gallon out of a pint pot rendering most of their channels unwatchable. The
BBC have made efforts to improve the picture quality by reducing the number
of channels thereby allowing a higher bitrate for the channels.

My TiVo is currently set to Medium for all recordings as the programs that I
want to record are usually of one of the Discovery channels where a better
quality recording option would only serve to use more disk space with no
increase in quality. I have just been watching a program about lightning
DIRECT from the digibox because Tivo was in use and the scenes of some truly
spectacular lightning storms looked as if they had been created from mosaic
tiles.

We all know that digital CAN give perfect reproduction but as I have said
before, one of the promised benefits of Digital TV is NOT being delivered.
We were promised that Digital TV would do for television what CD did for
scratchy vinyl records. In reality the pictures I receive from most of the
digital TV channels are of lower quality than the signals I received from
Analogue satellite.

Analogue satellite signals from some of the German channels are superb
quality and the D2MAC signals I used to get when I first played around with
satellite using a modified BSB box were excellent.

I was expecting to receive superior pictures from digital TV and that has
not happened.
*****

My other gripe with digital is that it was supposed to give a greater choice
of programs. By having hundreds of channels you could have channels that
were targeted towards a more specific audience. What has happened in reality
is that almost all the channels are trying to appeal to the masses and
dumbing down the content to the lowest common denominator. The extra
"choice" that digital HAS given is the choice of which channel to watch a
program on and at which time. Sadly these tend to be mostly quiz shows,
soaps, and "reality" TV shows. None of which are the type of program that I
want to watch. And there is also a myriad of shopping channels selling
everything you never need. Thank god for the Internet.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv