Re: Displays around the house - volunteers please?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Displays around the house - volunteers please?
  • From: Stuart Poulton <swp@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:06:33 +0100 (BST)

> 1) Try to agree on a simple display which has the features most of us would
> like.  Thinking of cost, size, VFD/LCD, interface electronics
>
> - Stuart Poulton, can you lead this?

Sure thing.....

> 2) Find a way of mount the display in some sort of nice SWMBO approved panel
>
> - Stuart? You again? Quinten "the stand king"?

Have to say that this isn't my strong point so I'll pass, I will however
see if the costs are reasonable from VFD suppliers for custom stuff.

> 3) Connect the display using serial (if thats what the display has) to your
> PC.  You can use your existing CAT5 leads for this.
>
> - Ian Bird? Can I twist your arm?
>
> 4) Develop some simple software to display "hello world" messages
>
> - Stuart, I think you have most of this already?

I've got vapour ware, there are some existing windows utilities that talk
to LCD/VFD displays, I suggest we start with these.

> 5) Roll out to a few more members possible as part of a limited bulk buy
>
> - watch this space
>
> 6) Enhance what the display displays!
>
> - Mark Harrison, Andy Powell, Graham Howe and Patrick Lidstone probably have some code handy :-)
> - Patrick and I probably have code for "IP port listener" for most O/Ss between us.
> - Patrick and I probably have some "IP port broadcaster" code for most O/Ss between us.
> - Andy Powell - some Windows Homevision code?
> - Graham - could you add a "broadcast this port" option to HomeAutomator if I give you some source code?
>
> 7) Add a simple keypad to the display

> - later phase

Development effort on this may be minimal, as some displays have support
already in the serial driver chip.
Might be worth considering now if we are looking at mounting and swmbo
approval ?

> 8) Develop code to make use of this, menu systems etc.
>
> - Home Automator input plugin????
>
> 9) Consider adding a new board to interface the Displays serial interface to
> TCP/IP, possibly with local inteligence if available for zero cost.

I'll take this on, mainly because it's an overlap of existing work.

Stuart

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor