RE: Re: Displays round the house - architecture...

Robert,

> I know I'm repeating what others have said, but lets try to keep within the
> realms of reality.  The cheaper the project starts out the more people
> involved, and the less damage if the project goes to the dogs.

I agree. I'll comment on the items below, and try to summerise.

> Maybe as a start
> 1) Try to agree on a simple display which has the features most of us would
> like.  Thinking of cost, size, VFD/LCD, interface electronics
> 2) Find a way of mount the display in some sort of nice SWMBO approved panel

I'm talking to a UK VFD manufacturer about this now, and have been for
the past 4/5 weeks. They do everything from custon VFD glass, to custom
complete turnkey solutions.

> 3) Connect the display using serial (if thats what the display has) to your
> PC.  You can use your existing CAT5 leads for this.
> 4) Develop some simple software to display "hello world" messages

This is easily do-able........

> 5) Roll out to a few more members possible as part of a limited bulk buy
> 6) Enhance what the display displays!
> 7) Add a simple keypad to the display

The serial display I'd suggest as a starting point has 8 gpio pins.

> 8) Develop code to make use of this, menu systems etc.

Work already in conecpt stages , with the mp3 stuff.

> 9) Consider adding a new board to interface the Displays serial interface to
> TCP/IP, possibly with local inteligence if available for zero cost.

Already explored as part of the mp3 development, I already have details
of TCP/IP enabled uP with no cost devel tools, that are open source
hardware so no cost for design right, and use AVR uP so enough power for
most things.

I'd also like to appologise if I appear evangelical about this at times,
but I've already put effort into the hardware side of things, and feel
that duplication of this effort may be uncessesary.

Stuart

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor