Re: Hv multizone ir system Costing

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Hv multizone ir system Costing
  • From: "graham_howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 14:28:55 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Nikola Kasic" <nikola@k...> wrote:
> Somehow, I missed that request as well.
> Or it was not clear enough what that was all about :-).
> It's a shame, because Frank is restricting it's market to 10-15% of
the
> group, which have homevision (my estimate).
> In fact, it seems already that there are more people without
homevision
> interested in it.
> Maybe siteplayer module can be an answer and will transform signals
>from > format to another.
> Nik

The following mini rant is all IMHO and not directed at any
individuals at all:-

I dare say that Frank (if he is still awake) is feeling very slightly
deflated right now. He did in numerous threads talk about the design
of his IR system. In all of those threads he solicited ideas and
opinions, but response was very poor. Andy and I found exactly the
same with HomeAutomator and I have seen lots of other projects
started here that go the same way.

The reality is that this stuff takes a lot of time and effort and is
a pretty selfless (and thankless) gesture by those who actually do
the work. Rather than worrying about the fact that the final product
is only useful to 10% or 15% of the group, how about the fact that
99% (my estimation) of the group don't contribute any
comments/opinions/requests/assistance until the product is delivered
and doesn't meet their expectations.

We have tried everything as developers, groups have been set up for
discussion, pictures and details have been posted every step of the
way, but still the feedback is negligible.

I'm sure that Frank, just like Andy and I, eventually got fed up with
the lack of response here and so designed and built what he needed.
It will soon be available for a very reasonable price and if you can
use it then I'm sure you will find it an absolute bargain! If it
doesn't meet your needs, then you know why that is.

I have said it before, and no doubt I'll say it again (usually at a
meet after a few beers) we have a tremendous amount of talent on this
group and we could produce some really useful hardware and software.
But we will get nowhere fast if we all sit back and wait for the next
gifted samaritan to do all the work and deliver it at cost.

Most of what we want to achieve in Home Automation just doesn't exist
today. How would you rather it came in to existence, as an overpriced
underspecified off the shelf solution that you had zero input in
developing, or as something that really meets your requirements at a
very reasonable price. Well guess what, we can't read minds, if you
want something then tell people, get involved, contribute and you
might be pleasantly surprised.

OK, rant over, thanks to Frank and all the other tinkerers here, and
a boot up the arse for the silent majority.

Graham

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor