Re: Any advice for ambitious newbie?

Bruno,

I've been doing a barn conversion for a few years now (not finished
yet!) which we live in, and have many things in common with what
you're trying to do.  Feel free to mail me off list if you want any
specific advice.

Some comments on your questions....

> Lighting/appliance control

> I was planning to go X10 for lighting control. From what I have
read, I
> should go for the DIN modules in preference to the X10 wall
switches, right?
> My electrician says this will increase the cost of getting the
house wired,
> as running a loop for each circuit is more labour intensive and
probably
> will require more cable. He works for the family company, so I am
sure he is
> not trying to rip me off, but is this people's experience?

More work is involved, so it'll cost more.

> Does anyone have experience of lighting a barn?

We have had a lighting (independent) designer design our lighting (or
half of it anyway).  He brought tons of ideas and modelled his
solutions using some software to ensure light levels were adequate.
I'd recommend this route.  didn't cost much but finding one was a
problem.  I've seen some names in London (prob expensive and
expensive lights recommended) and I'm near Bristol, so let me know if
you want his name.

> Heating:-

We have underfloor heating.  It's extremely good, but slow to respond
(if using on top of concrete) so too much control will be wasted.
I'd stick with the thermostat control that comes with your system
(assuming it's one of the recognised companies).  For some reason,
they seem to be able to hold the temp remarkably constant.  Very
surprising for such thermal mass.  The only thing which you can worry
about it when to turn the manifolds on and off, and I've wired for an
external temp sensor for that (haven't got it hooked up yet though).
I suspect that will be a big advantage.

Good luck!

Ben

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor