Re: X10/Room Occupancy/SWMBO acceptance

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: X10/Room Occupancy/SWMBO acceptance
  • From: "tefxp" <roaming@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 21:12:02 -0000

> > I don't know about you, but when I am a guest in someone's house
then I
> > don't automatically look for a pronto with a 'bed' button on it
or a
> > 'sleep' button on the headboard.  I go to bed and look for a
light
> > switch.
>
> So you're telling me that in a hotel where they have a light
switch on the
> wall above the bed, you don't use it?

Dunno if you intend it that way, but you seem to be coming across
v.angry/agressive in your responses m8!

But to answer your question, a hotel is a bit different -
everyone 'knows' they are and there is probably a (perfectly normal)
switch near the headboard.  Not a momentary one, not one on a
minitimer - just a regular on/off switch.

Now yes, in my house, I could start cutting up the headboards
(though in fact the guest room does not have a solid headboard, it's
a set of rails) and start wiring in switches, but as I said before,
I am not about to rewire the house as it has already been rewired
about 18 months ago when X10 was not yet on my radar.

No cutting up, so I use a pronto instead right?  This brings me back
to the guest scenario - I don't want to have to explain this kind of
thing to my mum/friend/house sitter so I want them to be able to be
blissfully unaware of any automation and use light switches or close
curtains if they so wish......

Clearly we have different ideas of what is/is not acceptable or even
desirable in an automated home.....

> OK, how about this.  Light switches are all manual.  When you
[....]

Hadn't thought about the alarm being activated because you have
switched off the light but could work.....

Not sure about light coming ON in the morning automatically though.
I have been doing it for the last weel whilst SWMBO is away and it
does help me to get up (even if it's damned annoying!) but as I
often get up a lot earlier than SWMBO, it may not be desirable to
turn it on and thus disturb her.

This automated light will not be very automated at all it seems, but
if it can be made to be a positive thing without introducing any
additional steps for SWMBO to perform then I think she is more
likely to accept changes later on where it _is_ necessary to change
what you do/use a pronto before you go to bed/wake up/take a
leak/whatever - even if fundamentally I think it should be
unnecessary to do so (though of course practically it _may_ be
necessary).

> Most definitely, but I do see advantages of automated curtains.
Mainly in
> the ability to fake someone at home whilst you are away.

Well yes, it's nice to think that this sort of thing and lights
going on/off will deter burglars, but really if it's a pro, they
will have cased the joint and know.  If it is a chancer, they may
not care if the house is occupied and just go in when ppl are
asleep.  And even if an alarm goes off, how many ppl actually take
notice of them and how many just turn over and try and get back to
sleep?  Same with car alarms, same even (According to a watchdog(?)
I think test some months back) with rape alarms in a park where ppl
simply ignored them as none of their business.....

Maybe it helps I dunno, but personally I think either an alarm will
deter burglars or not.  The pretend you're there thing doesn't do it
for me......

Tony

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor