RE: CCTV Cameras

Gerard,

Sorry to hear that - hope that you're OK and not too shaken.

Seriously though, it's a bugger, particularly when the police "know" who it was, but can't get enough proof together, or end up with only 5 minutes to brief the CPS lawyer, when the villain's been rehearsing with his beak for the last 3 weeks.

I see two different sides to this:

1: My brother is a policeman, in the Met, and he sometimes gets VERY angry/upset/annoyed about how difficult it can be to get a prosecution, and how the system is manipulated by the intelligent organised criminals... a friend of his has 78 complaints against him - this seems a lot until you learn that there is an organised rota of people who come in to complain about him... each complaint takes up a 3 or 4 man-hours of police time for only a 10 minute time investment by the group he is trying to investigate.

2: A school-friend of mine has a disabled father. A bunch of hooligans broke into his (the father's) flat, trashed it, and torched it while he was at a day-care centre. My friend came back at the weekend, and talked to the police. The police were convinced they knew who'd done it, but couldn't build a strong enough case. My mate, who had had to wait to the weekend because he was in the navy took his brother, and a pair of baseball bats, and kneecapped them. Unfortunately, he was kicked out of the navy, and had to do 6 months because of it... but as he said to my mum a couple of weeks ago "they torched my dad's flat - it was worth every minute inside."

Compared to this, a bunch of security cameras, and some big signs saying "security monitored" is probably the least one should do.

Mark

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor