RE: X10/Room Occupancy/SWMBO acceptance

> > order to go to bed - so why should she in the 'improved'
> automated home?
>
> What does she do now?  Probably nip upstairs, turn the light

This was an example of her reasoning, not mine.  But still, why should she
have to do this?
It's not really automated then is it if you have to provide manual input to
the system....

> IMO, that'd be poor programming.  You should have your system
> programmed
> so everything works as it does without automation.  You then add

That is what I want, but as Ken and others have suggested, you just can't do
that :(

> > This is one reaosn I'm only looking at 'simple'
> > automation of a few devices rather than full blown don't
> touch a thing,
> > the house does it all type automation.
>
> Surely that's the point of it.  You want to go to bed, so you hit the
> 'bed' button which switches off lights as you leave the room,
> and arms the
> alarm.  That's easier than before, and doesn't interfere with
> anything else.

I want something that works, works consistently, and doesn't require an
instruction manual.
So _I_ press button X on the pronto and it all happens nicely, but mother in
law who has enough trouble with normal remotes, let alone a touch screen,
can when house sitting, turn the alarm on manually and turn the lights
on/off manually - all concepts she understands perfectly because she does it
all the time.

> > them again at night?   This is the sort of scenario I Want
> to avoid, so
> > I will not be automating my curtains!
>
> That's a bit OTT, IMO.  Because someone had a problem with
> their curtains,
> you'll not install them?  Do you only fly with Quantas?

There are two reasons why I will not be automating my curtains:
1/ I do not want to end up with a system where manually operating the
curtains results in total confusion and the system unable to handle it until
someone in the know fixes it.
2/ The systems I ahve seen take far longer to close curtains than I can do
manually and if I'm going to go to the curtains and press the button on the
closer, hell I may as well pull the chord and do it myself.

Tony

      Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com

The Royal Bank of Scotland is registered in Scotland No 90312
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB
             Regulated by the Financial Services Authority