How was service from bigpockets??

From: Don McAllister [mailto:donmc@xxxxxxx]
Sent:
Monday, August 05, 2002 3:36 PM
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Subject: RE: [ukha_d] OT: dvd-r -rw blanks..

Aw shucks !!

No problems burning with the Ulead Movie Factory Software onto those cheap bulkpaq disks (£38 for 90).

Playback is fine on the burner but I seemed to be having a few funnies on my standalone player (Pioneer 525) and on the multitainers (Hitachi GD-7000). It was as if the end of the disk was getting screwed if filled to capacity. After doing some reading up on the net the favourite seemed to be a compatability problem with the cheap media and the older kit I wasplaying it back on. I ordered a selection of media to do some further testing and after a day spent mainly burning disks this is the outcome:

I created an iso image of a really full disk and used this to burn each disk. All disks burnt sucessfully but I had varying success on playback.

All 4.7GB (General Purpose) DVD-R priced singlely plus VAT

Datasafe branded white top (£0.74) - 1x speed - Excellent! All my problems both on the 525 and the Multitainer went away. All chapters accessible and Fast forward \play worked to the end of the disk. I'll be putting an order in for 50 of these on Monday!

White Label (£0.74) - 1x speed - Wouldn't play back properly on the 525

"ICE" WhiteTop (£0.75) - Seems to be OK on both 525 and Multitainer

Datasafe Media (£0.97) - 2x speed - Problems with chapters and fast forward at the end of the disk

Choice Branded (£0.93) - 2x speed - Real problems on playback on both 525 and multitainers

So it looks like the Datasafe branded white top for me and I'll forget about 2x speed disks for now ! That leaves me the problem of the 80 bulkpaq disks I've got left :-( I'll probably keep them and use them for data backup as they burn fine and playback on the DVD burner OK.

Hope people find this useful

Cheers

Don