Information Displays

  • To: "UKHA Discussion" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Information Displays
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <lists.diyha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 22:48:41 +0100

Just an idea that came to me whilst having lunch today.

Because of a meeting I was late getting to the canteen with the result that
there was hardly anyone in there. From where I sat I had a clear view of the
tills and when one of the cashiers finished and had left her till I could
see the LCD screen shining brightly. After about a minute or so the
backlight was extinguished. Nothing special in that.... Laptops, PDA, Web
tablets all do it. But it set me thinking....

The current VFD threads running on the various lists are working on
displaying information on the wall mounted VFD's. This is the idea....

A PIR sensor located in the room (could be several of them) used for
occupancy detection, is also used to control the output of the VFD display,
either blanking it completely or dimming down to a low level. When movement
is detected the display is enabled at full brightness for a period of
<user_defined> minutes. Any further movement resets the timer so if the room
is occupied then the display will be active but when there is no-one there
to see it the display is dimmed/blanked to prolong life.

Could also work as a security feature similar to the VCR's where you could
dim the display ot avoid it attracting attention.

Could also be used for VGA monitors in one of two ways....
1. Disconnect the RGB signals to blank the screen but keep the monitor
powered up for instant ON
2. Disconnect the H+V sync signals to put the monitors into power save
mode - would take a few seconds to warm up and would possible also show
"Power Save" messages for a few seconds after blanking.

Obviously the above ideas rely on a couple of things...
1. You have some form of occupancy detection or security system
2. The system to which the sensors are connected needs to pass information
to the system(s) controlling the displays for the feature to operate.

As xAP is in its design stage, is it worth considering this kind of
functionallity.

If it has already been discussed then I apologise but I havent had time to
follow all the messages.

Keith

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor