Re: Home Network

Mark,

*my* NTL broadband connection is presented to me as an ethernet interface
on
the back of the cable box. (it is a combined cable box, - TV & cable
"modem"
in 1).

To this I must connect a single nominated device, and the MAC address is
registered with NTL. It will subsequently only talk directly to said MAC
address, although the registered MAC address can be changed as required. -
have connected my router to the NTL box, and registered the MAC address of
the routers external interface. The routers' internal interface is then
just
connected into a switch on my LAN.

AIUI, there's no reason it should not work with ICS, but as I've never used
ICS, I really couldn't say for sure... - I would imagine it should be as
simple as installing a 2nd NIC in the ICS machine, and specifying that as
the connection instead of a modem?

If not, then there are various other "connection sharing"
software products
in use by other members of the list, who I am sure will chime in
shortly....

HTH

Paul G.

>From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ukha_d] Home Network
>Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:37:12 +0100
>
>A mate of mine has NTL broadband, which he loves.
>
>This goes into a single PC (of PII spec), running Windows ME.
>
>He also has a couple of laptops (his and hers from work) and an iPaq.
>
>The question is "how does he share that internet connection?"
>
>As I see it, there are two parts to the problem:
>
>1: Turning on some "connection sharing" software.
>2: Installing some network components
>
>The connection sharing would be easy, if this were a modem. However, I
>don't know what the NTL Broadband thingy looks like to windows. As far
as
>my mate's concerned, it's just a bit of install software that he ran.
(He's
>too far away for me to pop over and look.)
>
>I guess the options are:
>
>1a: Run ICS (if it works with NTL Broadband - does anyone know?)
>1b: Run some other gateway sofrware
>
>The "installing some network components" gives two options:
>
>2a: A PCI 802.11b connection for the PC, three 802.11b PCMCIA cards for
the
>lappies and the iPaq (and a jacket for the iPaq)
>2b: A wired ethernet card for the PC, a cross-over cable, and a
WAP11...