Cabling Question

Hello Gary

I had to go back to my IEE "On Site Guide"  to refresh my memory before
replying.

The On Site Guide,  Page 51, Para 7.3.2 states,

7.3.2 Walls

Where a cable is concealed in a wall or partition at a depth of less than
50mm from any surface it must be enclosed in earthed metal conduit (trunking
or ducting) or installed either horizontally within 150mm of the top of the
wall or partition or vertically within 150mm of the angle formed by two
walls, or run horizontally or vertically to an accessory or consumer unit.

Fig 7.3.2 on Page 52 demonstrates this statement diagramatically.

So it is possible to run cables unprotected on the surface as long as you
adhere to the rules about being with 150mm of a ceiling or wall corner or
runs from accessories/consumer units.
Cheers

Tracey

> This is only applicable if the cables are let into the wall at a depth
> of 50mm or greater from the surface of the plaster, otherwise to comply
> with BS7671 you will need to install within mechanical protection i.e
> plastic or metal capping.
>
> Gary.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor