Re: Broadband in the sticks?

> > a tiny town with no broadband.  What are their options to get
> > broadband?
>
> move? :-)

They've not even moved in yet!

> There are companies offering essentially always on ISDN for a fixed
> monthly price that may be an acceptable solution....

Might be worth looking into.

> > Satellite
>
> Usually with this, the return path (from you to sat operator) is
usually
> a normal modem, so it may not offer the speed you require - depends on
> what direction you want it in.
> having a higher speed return path involves an xmitter at your house
and
> is a lot more expensive than the sat/phone method.

Yeah, I've seen the sat/phone ones for less than ADSL or a cable modem,
but I think it's about £150/month for 2 way satellite, which isn't too
much.

> > Are there any other options for faster-than-modem
> > connections?  They may
>
> NTL were trialling a fixed wireless system about 6/12 months ago.
Dunno
> what's happened to it, if it's being rolled
out/abandoned/whatever......

It was trialled in London.  Don't know if it went any further.

> > lines).  Any ideas?
>
> Again, I say "move" :D

:-)

Andy (in urban heaven and not moving!)
--
Building a community network for Bristol
http://consume.andylaurence.co.uk