-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Gunn [mailto:ngunn@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 28 July 2002 18:51
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxxSubject: [ukha_d] A different interface on HA

Hi,

Not sure if anyone has tried this before?   I thought I’d share some ideas I’m having about integrating Home Automation with Instant Messaging.

I’ve found a Perl module that interfaces with MSN messenger:

http://www.adamswann.com/library/2002/msn-perl/index.html

I think this could be an interesting way to interact with the house?    I’m pretty much online on MSN all day at work and at home, so I thought it’d be pretty cool if I could use it for Home Automation too.

I’m not the best at Perl, but the site includes a sample script which is easy to modify.    So far I’m impressed!

[Mark Harrison] D I’ve registered a new username for the house (how odd does that sound!).   Once the perl script is running the server, the house appears online to me as a user.   From here I can now send commands to the house which can be executed on the server and the responses sent back to me.

Using this I should be able to interface with HomeSeer, so I can give a command like “Turn on porch light”.  I should also be able to Interface with Meteor so it sends me an message with the caller ID when I get a call and I’m out.

My next step is to interface to HomeSeer through Perl.  Has anyone done this before who can give me some tips?

I see a few late nights playing with Perl coming up!

Cheers,

Nick