RE: cables. was HA system networks

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: cables. was HA system networks
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <lists.diyha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 21:58:03 +0100

For BROADCAST TV ....YES

for domestic AV source equipment ....NO

You are correct when you say it is the receivers capabilities that determine
whether or not you receive Stereo sound but ONLY if the source of that
signal is in NICAM stereo. You can spend as much money as you like on the
best colour TV in the world, but if the broadcaster puts on a Black & White
movie then you will only see it in B&W.

NICAM Digital Stereo is generated by an expensive encoding chipset and then
modulated onto a subcarrier of the RF frequency used for the main TV signal.

A NICAM Encoder will cost more than a reasonable quality VCR therefore the
modulators used to provide the RF output from VCR & Satellite receivers are
mono. (Typically they can be bought retail for just over a fiver so probably
only cost a quid or so the the AV manufacturers in the volumes they buy)

The SCART socket outputs high quality video signals and Stereo audio. KAT5
provides the means to distribute this signal over long distances with no
degradation.

It also doesnt suffer from interference from other channels which happens
all to frequently with UHF distibution particularly during the summer
months. Read more at www.kat5.tv particularly the section about "Taboo TV".

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv