RE: cables. was HA system networks

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: cables. was HA system networks
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:51:52 +0100

> > I spent a lot of time looking at Lonworks, I realy liked
> it, even went
> > on the training cource (it was free at the time) but at the
> end of the
> > day I could not justify the =A35,000 (from memory could have
> been more,
> > I know one was over =A320,000) for the development system.
>
> That's right, it's about #5k for the basic development tool
> (Node builder) and about #50k for LON builder.
>
> I'm still at uni and my department has all the resources
> needed. My final year project based based on reomte control
> via tcp/ip (web) and a friend has developed remote control
> via sms, so hopefully over summer we plan to combine the two
> and make some HA modules. Any recommendations?

Take a look at the modules I am working on www.sawood.co.uk you will
find a list there of the black boxes I am working on.

There are much cheaper systems than LonWorks although I will be the
first to admit that they are not as easy to stick together, IMO  there=
would have been a lot more Neuron chips sold if the development systems
were priced at a level that small developers could afford, I thought
long and hard about node builder if I had purchased it I would have had
to made my project a comercial success I enjoyed the cource I was amased what you could do with them, I like the fact that they can work
wireless, mains carrier, twisted pair, tcp, IR the lot.

You could look at a couple of much cheaper systems, CAN provices a
shared memory route that can behave a bit like Lon (but not as good)
Microchip do a developemnt system (I have one somewhere) from memory
about =A3200, CAN is used a lot in the automotive industry. You could look<= BR> at rabbit for a TCP/IP solutuion (there are several others now which do
good job) you would have to do the ground work but its not difficult to
get them taking. Also worth a good look is TINI it=92s a bit more
exepnsive than rabbit but it does have 1 wire built it (you can do it on a rabbit but you have to do the code)

HTH

John

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk