White LED Lighting... was RE: Re: ADSL vs Cable

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: White LED Lighting... was RE: Re: ADSL vs Cable
  • From: "paul_watkin" <paul_watkin@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:04:43 -0000

The different intensities are due to the technology used to develop
the white light.

Most of the LED's on the market start with a blue LED and then use a
one or two phosphour system to produce the white (the phosphour
actually goes in the epoxy).

Nichia who were originally a chemical company making phosphours found
this affect first and have some pretty good patents for the 2
phosphour system, which they rigidely enforce

When using these things be careful that you get the current through
them similar and if you can, get them to supply devices from one Vf
bin otherwise you might find your wall has various different shades
of white as you move along it!

At 20mA these things will be white at 5mA they are likely to be blue,
to give you an idea of the extremes

Paul

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Ian Lowe" <ian@w...> wrote:
> It does, doesn't it...
>
> well, I have contacted computronics for some more details.
>
> Looking at 12Candela 5mm LEDs in a water clear package. forward
current is
> 30mA, voltage nominally 3.6V, and 22 degree half power angle..
>
> Cost is A$820 AUD, about ?305 GBP so far but I have asked about
multiples..

> in the meantime, if anyone finds a UK/EU source, holler please ;)
>
> Ian.

Cable

> sounds like a bulk buy to me...
>

> Scott Crowther
> Intamac Systems Ltd
>
> t: +44 (0)1604 679262
> e. scrowther@xxxxxxx > w. www.intamac.com

Cable

> yeah,
>
> I found a company in korea doing MR14 MR16 sized replacements for
the small
> Lv Halogens, in 20W equivelants. These were clusters of 15 LEDs,
each
> producing about 3Cd..
>
> Since digging more and more, I found a maglite like torch quiting a
42
> Candela output in white, using THREE LEDs!! it was also 100,000
year (Ten
> Years continuous use) LED life, and about 100 hours on three AA
cells..

> so I had a further rummage, and found what I believe to be the
highest rated
> white LEDS available on the market now...
>
> 12 Candela units, from computronics in Australia. (they are selling
a bag of
> 500 for about ?300 + shipping)
>
> The bizzare thing for me is this:
>
> the 2500mcd ones use 20mA at about 3.8V optimal..
>
> And the 12000mcd ones, despite being nearly five times brighter
use, er,
> 20mA at about 3.8V
>
> I'm totally smitten!!
>
> The idea of having a cool crisp light (I like a slight blue tint at
the best
> of times, so the lack of any "red" component doesn't bother me)
that can be
> used with normal usage patterns for 25 years and uses about >ONE<
Watt in

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/