RE: In anticipation of SKY+.......

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: In anticipation of SKY+.......
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <lists.diyha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:41:42 +0100

Basic single output LNB's have two pickups in them, one for horizontal and one for vertical signals.

The supply voltage changes between 13V (Vertical) and 18V (Horizontal) and the desired pickup is switched to the LNB electronics. For digital ready LNB's there is also a switchable local oscillator that chages the frequencies received from Low Band to High Band depending on the absence or presence of a 22kHz tone.

When you get to LNB's with two outputs there are two different types DUAL and TWIN

One which is effectively 2 LNB's in one - each output can supply either H or V signals and can be connected directly to a satellite receiver.

The second has less electronics and has one output which is fixed on H and the other is fixed on V. These are intended for SMATV (Satellite Master Antenna TeleVision) systems and feed into a switch which can have from 4 to <lots> outputs. These are intended for blocks of flats etc.

With the coming of digital where band switching is also required, two new types of LNB - QUATTRO and QUAD

As with the dual/twin LNB these have 4 outputs. One has 4 outputs for direct connection to 4 satellite receivers (Sky+ counts as 2), the other has H Low, H High, V Low, V High outputs and once again is intended for use with a switch for SMATV use.

Dont ask me which is which from Dual/Twin and Quattro/Quad because I only have a 50/50 chance of giving you the right answer :-)

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv