Re: White LED Lighting... was RE: Re: ADSL vs Cable

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: White LED Lighting... was RE: Re: ADSL vs Cable
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:47:52 +0100

>Okay, THAT got my attention. :)

:-)

>I have been considering various technologies for low level (as in close to
>the floor, ad in other parts of the house, low light level) lighting..

I was thinking of drilling through the picture rail and attaching them
there.

>Looking at using PC Case Modding Neone clipped to the skirting to provide
>some nice lighting for night time bathroom trips etc..

That'd be nice, but not efficient enough to run off a battery in a power cut
(my objective)

>Any details on the brightness of tehse LEDs? power consumption, heat
>production (important one that!) etc..

Due to really awful search functions (and every electrical appliance
containing LEDs), I can't find details.  There is a 3mm LED on the Maplin
site
(http://maplin.co.uk/products/details.php?cartid=0204231835361451415&modulec
ode=&moduleno=17821&manufacturer=Nichia).  I based my thoughts on the
variety of LED torches around.  There is a torch which uses 2 AAA batteries
(from memory), and has 4 white LEDs.  It's supposed to be quite bright.  I
have guesstimated that 10-15 LEDs should be enough to see where you're
going, and that'll run on a lead-acid battery for a few weeks.  Of course,
we have 6 rooms, plus hallways, so I'd say 100 LEDs should be enough to walk
round the house in the event of a power cut.  The 3mm ones above draw 30mA,
so 100 of them is 3 amps.  A small 10Ah lead-acid battery will go for a few
hours, which is longer than any power cut I've ever experienced.

>If the power usage of these things for effects lighting is near trivial, I
>may have a winner :)

30mA - LEDs are your friends :-)

Andy

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor